Athirapally Falls, a part of Chalakudy river is located about 30 km from Chalakudy in Kerala. From Valparai, it’s about 85 km through thick forests and may take 3 to 4 hours to reach. There is a possibility to encounter wild Elephants and Gaurs (Bisons) in this route and if really lucky, one could even spot Leopards. Night driving is highly unsafe in this route.
Athirapally is one of the top locations for major blockbuster films in both Bollywood and the South Indian film industry. In Tamilnadu, it is widely known as “Punnagai Mannan Falls” as Punnagai Mannan was the first movie to be shot here. The Athirapally falls joins the Chalakudy River after plummeting down 80 ft. The cool spray that covers a large area near the falls makes Athirapally a scenic location. It is often referred to as Indian Niagara Falls as it resembles Niagara during rainy seasons.
The following are some of the Indian movies that were pictured at this location
- Balachander’s Tamil movie, “Punnagai Mannan”, starring Kamal Haasan and Rekha
- Mani Ratnam’s Dil Se movie song “Jiya Jale” (Hindi Version), Uyire song “Nenjinilae Nenjinilae” (Tamil Version), starring Shahrukh Khan and Preity Zinta
- Mani Ratnam’s Guru song “Barso re”, starring Aishwarya Rai
- Mani Rathnam’s upcoming movie “Raavan (Hindi version)/Raavanan (Tamil version)” starring Abhishek Bachchan, Aishwarya Rai, Vikram, Prithviraj, Priyamani, etc
- A Song from the Tamil film Iruvar, “Narumugaye Narumugaye”, starring Mohanlal and Madhoo
- A song from the Tamil film Mudhalvan, “Kurukku Chiruththavale”, starring Arjun and Manisha Koirala
- An action scene from Tamil movie, “Vettaikaran”, starring Vijay
- A Song from the Tamil film Suryavamsam, “Rosapoo Chinna Rosapoo”, starring Sarathkumar and Priya Raman
- A song from Tamil movie Peranmai, “Thuppaki Penne”, starring Jayam Ravi and 5 Girls
- A song from Tamil movie Aai, “Arjuna Arjuna“, starring Sarathkumar and Namitha
- A song from Telugu movie Kanchanamala Cable TV, “Kantlo Kaveri Raagam”, starring Sudarshan (Srikanth) and Lakshmi Rai
Distance from neighboring towns:
- Valparai – 85 km (via Iyerpadi and Sholayar Dam)
- Pollachi – 140 km (via Aliyar Dam, Iyerpadi and Sholayar Dam)
- Coimbatore – 180 km (via Pollachi, Aliyar Dam, Iyerpadi and Sholayar Dam)
- Thrissur – 65 km (via Chalakudy)
- Chalakudy – 30 km
If you are taking our Package tour (Topslip, Valparai and Athirapally), we will directly pick you up from Coimbatore Airport/Railway Station/Bus Terminus or Pollachi Bus Terminus.